Trust in the LORD - to make your paths straight
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Listening, listening, always listening for the word of the Lord: Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, “This is the way; walk in it” (Isaiah 30:21). God can and will make my paths straight.
I hike along the mountain trail in solitude, vigilant, eyes glued to the ground looking for stones and tree roots that so easily cause me to stumble. Bright sunlight filters through the dense foliage, flickering, obscuring the obstacles along the path. The roots and rocks remind me of life with all its distractions, the light that of the world, appealing meanwhile obscuring what trips me up. Focus, focus. I focus on Jesus and His Word.
Out of the corner of my eye I catch sight of the wildflowers blooming beside the path. I cannot enjoy the beauty until I stop, as I must stop to rest in the Almighty. Along the path of trust are strewn its benefits. Amongst other things, I enjoy:
- Perfect Peace: You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you (Isaiah 26:3).
- The Rock Eternal: Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal (Isaiah 26:4).
- True Blessing: “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.” (Jeremiah 17:7).
- Unfailing Love: But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever (Psalm 52:8).
- Inner Joy: In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name (Psalm 33:21).
Speaking of joy, the joy of the Lord is the source of strength in the midst of trust broken. Pardon my liberties with Habakkuk 3:17-18:
Though trust has been broken
And your kids are no longer sheltered from it;
Though your part-time job allowed you more time at their schools,
It will take more money to supply football cleats and basketball shoes for growing feet;
Though your computer skills are sadly lacking
And the “resource” charts and reports seem overwhelming,
Yet (you) will rejoice in the LORD,
(You) will be joyful in God (your) Savior.