Day 1: Five Reasons the Tabernacle Still Matters
All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness …
2 Timothy 3:16, CSB
Kids ask good questions.
My husband gave me and our two teen boys a chronological Bible for Christmas. As we plod through Exodus, my 13-year-old asks, “What does all this have to with my life today?”
I knew exactly what he meant. My eyes glazed over as I read the detail about materials of the Tabernacle and all its accoutrements. Yet I know from today’s verse that God has inspired all scripture.
The only thing I could come up with at the time was God is interested in the details — whether that be the Tabernacle or our lives.
While I still believe that’s true, I came to some other conclusions after reading commentaries.
- God cares about His dwelling place. That remains true whether it be the Tabernacle or inside the hearts of believers. He pays attention to the details of our bodies and hearts because they are His home.
- The Tabernacle, Table, Ark, Lampstand, and other items have tremendous symbolism in foreshadowing Jesus Christ.
- God shines in these passages as the great designer, creator and builder. We can praise Him for those characteristics.
- God wants us to approach Him with reverence.
- When God designs a plan, He provides the materials and equips us to complete it. Likewise, God has designed my life. He will provide for me.
What are your thoughts on the Tabernacle?
Lord, open my eyes and ears to the details You have planned for my life. I want to be a suitable dwelling place for You.