When Things Don't Make Sense
He is the Rock, His works are perfect, and all His ways are just. A faithful God Who does no wrong, upright and just is He.
I don’t understand how giraffes are able to raise their heads to eat leaves from tall trees, and then bend down to drink water without their hearts exploding. The giraffe is amazingly designed by God, the perfect Creator. The giraffe heart has to pump enough blood into its brain while the head is lifted and the capillaries have to prevent the high blood pressure from affecting the animal when it bends over to drink.
I don’t understand His ways, but I trust Him.
It is beyond my comprehension why my dear friend, Nancy, within a brief period of time, experienced the death of her 56 year-old husband from an aggressive brain cancer, endured the mysterious disappearance of one of her adult daughters, and survived the sudden, tragic death of her 21 year-old son. Her remaining daughter lives around the world in China. During her recent trip to China, Nancy fell down concrete steps and sustained a broken shoulder that requires surgery.
I can’t make sense of any of this for my Christ-centered friend. My reasoning abilities do not provide answers. But God is exceptional and unconventional. His seemingly preposterous and nonsensical ways are just. Always. I will trust Him. As does Nancy. Through the grieving and suffering, she chooses to live each day with hope and joy, which encourages me!
Several of God’s seemingly nonsensical ways:
- And whoever exalts himself will be humbled; and whoever humbles himself will be exalted (Matthew 23:12).
- by His wounds you were healed (1 Peter 2:24).
- but whoever loses his life for Me will save it (Luke 9:24).
- For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest (Luke 9:48).
- Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me will live, even though he dies” (John 11:25).
Lord, grant us faith and grace to trust You, our Rock, especially when things don’t make sense to us.